Sunday, March 14, 2010

Martina Veit - German Assistant 2010



My name is Martina Veit and I am the German language assistant at Mount Lawley Senior High School for the year 2010. My hometown, Villingen-Schwenningen, is in the southwest of Germany just at the edge of the Black Forest. however, for the last five years, I have been living in Konstanz which is located at the lake of Constance, directly at the border to Switzerland. This area is very beautiful because you can swim in the lake on hot summer days and you can also ski in the Swiss Alps in winter, because it only takes you about an hour or two to go there.

For the past five years I have been studying English and Mathematics at the University of Konstanz in order to become a teacher of these subjects. When I return to Germany in December 2010, I will continue my teacher education at a secondary high school and it will take me another 1.5 years until I will finally be a fully qualified teacher. Therefore, I am very happy that I can spend this year in Australia in between my studies and future career in Germany. It is not only a good opportunity to gain more experience in teaching, but also to explore the country and get a real insight in the Australian way of life.

Mein Name ist Martina Veit und ich bin die deutsche Fremdsprachenassistentin an der Mount Lawley Senior High School für das Jahr 2010. Meine Heimatstadt Villingen-Schwenningen liegt im Südwesten Deutschlands, am Rand des Schwarzwalds. In den letzten fünf Jahren habe ich jedoch in Konstanz gelebt. Das ist am Bodensee, direkt an der schweizer Grenze. Diese Gegend ist besonders schön, da man an heißen Sommertagen im See schwimmen und im Winter in den schweizer Alpen skifahren kann. Es dauert nämlich nur ein bis zwei Stunden um dorthin zu kommen.

In den letzten fünf Jahren habe ich Englisch und Mathematik auf Lehramt an der Universität Konstanz studiert. Wenn ich im Dezember 2010 nach Deutschland zurückkehre, werde ich meine Referendariat an einem Gymnasium beginnen und es wird dann noch weitere 1,5 Jahre dauern bis ich schließlich eine voll qualifizierte Lehrerin bin. Deshalb bin ich sehr froh darüber, dass ich das Jahr zwischen meinem Studium und meinem zukünftigen Job hier in Australien verbringen kann. Es ist nicht nur eine gute Möglichkeit um mehr Erfahrung im Unterrichten zu sammeln, sondern auch um das Land zu erkunden und einen echten Einblick in den australischen Lebensstil zu bekommen.    

No comments: